Thursday, November 1, 2012

Arts & Crafts: Do Your Characters Make Stuff?

So. Yesterday was Halloween. When I was a kid, I LOVED Halloween. Mainly because that meant DRESS UP TIME and CANDY. Now I only like the candy part of Halloween. I don't really know why, but costumes don't get me as excited as before. 

I do, however, love seeing other people wearing costumes. My favorite costumes are the ones people make themselves instead of buying at a store. The dedication behind costume-making is intense, y'all. I'm in awe of those of you who can whip up something from nothing, then wear it like a boss. Seriously.

This whole costume design fixation (and fashion design in general) led me to wonder about characters and their stuff. Clothes, jewelry, hair accessories, you name it. My WIP has a character who designs and makes stuff, although they're more of the sharp-pointy, totally-can-kill-you variety. :) But I've yet to write about someone who just sits down and creates things they can wear, either for themselves or others. 

I'm curious: do your characters make stuff? If so, what do they make? Does it hold a special place in their hearts, or is it something they must do out of necessity? 


7 comments:

JeffO said...

Does making music count? If so, then yes. If no, then still yes, though it doesn't play an overly-large role in the story.

Unknown said...

One of my character's have a thing for making decorative desserts and any event is a good enough excuse for her to bring something to the table. :-) Hope that counts!

Amparo Ortiz said...

Music most definitely counts! I can't play any instruments, so again, I admire those who can. Even if they're fake people :)

Amparo Ortiz said...

OH YES IT COUNTS. *makes grabby hands at those desserts*

LinWash said...

Love this post! One of my characters loves to cook. She's like my sister-in-law, rather than like me. (I only cook when I have to.) I love to crochet, so one of these days, I'd like to write a book where a character crochets.

Toni Kerr said...

One of my characters creates disguises for some of the main characters-- for when they need to be incognito. Her basement is full of artificial body parts and replica manikins, each with many personas ranging from old-aged to the opposite sex. It's actually pretty creepy. Especially the ones that aren't finished yet. :-)

Heather Marsten said...

In my memoir in second grade I make a collage out of leaves, seeds, etc. I use the leaf as a skirt. I also learn how to knit - and the knitting is tight on the needles because at the time I learned I was being abused, my hands were constantly clammy and I was nervous and fearful, and it shows up in my stitches.