Saturday, November 10, 2012

THE MYSTERY OF A BOOK SIGNING

 Being published has been an exciting adventure for me. There are few pleasures I enjoy more than running my hand over the smooth cover, gazing at the spine with my book title, and signing my name inside the jacket cover. It truly is a gift and I'm very grateful to all those who have helped me get to where I am today.

As my release date loomed closer and closer, I started to worry about book signings and where and when I would have them. There was a local demand for Amarok and lots of pre-orders and excitement--the problem was, since I live in rural Montana and Borders had went bankrupt--where would I have a signing?

I suddenly realized I knew nothing about book signings. How did it all work? 

I turned to my amazing publicist, Lisa Munoz, Lisa smiled and took care of everything.  Lisa worked very hard and before long I was booked and not just at bookstores.

My first signing(release party) will be at Vivianne's, an English tea house where I spent hours working on
 Amarok, and a few days later I will be at the mall for a Black Friday sale. Other signings will be held at an Interior design center, coffee houses,  bookstores, a few high schools, libraries, Historic mansions, local markets, events and more.

One important thing I learned is that a book signing doesn't have to take place in a book store. There are many other places in which to host a signing. Advertising is a must. My signings are just in time for the Holidays and that helps tremendously as there will be more shoppers.

A good display is also a must. Lisa has worked very hard to design a pretty table, canvas banners,  bonus and promotional items and comfortable chairs. I feel very lucky to have her help and I will be forever grateful to her. 


With hurricane Sandy struck, I felt terrible for everyone involved. I worried about those affected by the hideous storm. I wondered if I would be able to get my books on time. I was very lucky to have my box of books arrive this week from my publisher, Spencer Hill Press. I was fortunate to receive them and I continue to keep those stricken by the storm in my thoughts and prayers. 
   




For those who can not attend one of my local signings, Amarok is now available on Amazon here http://www.amazon.com/Amarok-Angela-Townsend/dp/1937053229

or you may request a signed copy directly from me.

Have a wonderful Weekend!
Angela


6 comments:

JeffO said...

Best of luck with your signings!

Angela Townsend said...

Thanks Jeff! :)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

How exciting! Have fun with it, and I hope the only problem you have is that you sell out of all the books you have on hand at those signings.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Good luck with the book signing. The idea of them makes me nervous too.

Angela Townsend said...

Thank you Susan! :)

Angela Townsend said...

Thanks Natalie! :)