Sunday, December 23, 2012

What Are You Bringing to the New Year's Revision Conference?

So Operation Awesome's New Year's Revision Conference is happening January 4, 5, and 6!

Here's a list of things you may (or may not) need:

  • Red pen or pencil
  • Word processing program
  • Colored markers
  • Index cards
  • Post-Its
  • Scissors
  • Tape
  • 500-piece Craftsman tool kit
  • Giant pot of coffee

Here's some things you definitely need:

  • Willingness to improve
  • A manuscript.

A manuscript? That's where I get in trouble. I didn't do NaNo. I need to write a new book first, right?

Not exactly. I have a pile of picture books that need attention, stories that are polished to what I consider perfection (but my agent does not) and those that are draftier than my front door. Plus I have an "almost" novel that has a certain something that agents and editors have always loved but not been willing to buy.

So I'm ready! Whether you are revising a NaNo draft, polishing a nearly-there gem, pulling a much-loved book from your trunk, you can participate in NYRC. Whether you are working with an agent or editor, looking for one, or getting ready to self-publish, you can participate in NYRC.

So what book are you going to bring with you? 

And if you haven't entered yet, don't miss our NYRC Book Giveaway, happening now! 



2 comments:

Angelica R. Jackson said...

For one thing, I will be substituting the coffee with chocolate: hot chocolate as well as the more convenient brick form!

I'll be working on revising Crow's Rest, my YA contemporary fantasy. Here's the short pitch:

Avery wants to evict the creature who’s taken over her boyfriend’s body, but if she succeeds the world will be plunged into another Dark Age.

Katrina L. Lantz said...

I'm bringing my middle grade adventure rewrite, and definitely hot chocolate stirred with peppermint sticks! Love that idea, Angelica!