Sunday, March 2, 2014

Do It Anyway

Yesterday I read a great post from Justine Musk that resonated with my personal philosophy: Darling, just freaking do it.

Do it, because not to do it is to die a tiny death.
Do it, because it moves you a little more deeply into the world.
Do it, because it helps you remember who you are.
That's how she says it. It's not an original sentiment, and I think of it more how Ben Fold says it, with more Fraggles:



And if you're paralyzed by a voice in your head
It's the standing still that should be scaring you instead
Go on and
Do it anyway
Do it anyway
Justine and Ben are not only talking about writing, and neither am I. Do the things that scare you. Reach out to people even when it is uncomfortable. Instead of doing nothing, do something. And yes, write even when you don't feel like it.

I needed this reminder right about now, and it works whether it comes from a Fraggle or a fellow writer. Or a Nike sneaker ad, come to think of it.

OK, now I'm off to just do it.

4 comments:

JeffO said...

Great song, great video, and great message. Go and do it!

Angelica R. Jackson said...

So timely! We're planning a big trip this spring and are having all kinds of complications with the planning. Oh, and I should say I love seeing new places but hate the actual travel--I blame Star Trek for giving me expectations of transporter beams and convincing holodecks.

Anyway, I was griping to my husband about all the obstacles and he said "maybe we should do something smaller". And I had to say, "hey, I'm likely going to do a lot of griping, but I'd still rather go than have the regret that we had a chance to go and didn't." Right?

Vicki Rocho said...

...unless of course the voices are telling you to do evil things....

LOL. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I agree with you. In fact, I was thinking about hanging Just Do It down on the wall where I can see it all the time.

Kell Andrews said...

Better to go, regardless of the hassle, Angelica!

Vicki, LOL! Hope your voices urge on to good, not evil.