Monday, October 27, 2014

Book Festivals

I spent this last weekend volunteering at the California Capital Book Festival in Sacramento, the first time they've put on this event. Hopefully, if they continue to offer this event in the future, it will gain more traction (and more of an audience--the attendance was lower than I expected).

A couple of highlights for me were the Fearless Fifteeners panel, which I tweeted a picture of (please excuse the phone-quality pic)
I got to put faces to names on some of my fellow Fifteeners (left to right, they are: Alexis Bass, Kelly Loy Gilbert, Stacey Lee, Sabaa Tahir, and Jessica Taylor), as well as cheer them on. It was a good way for me to see a panel from the audience side, and to apply a more analytical view of it, in preparation for the fantasy writing panel I'm going to be on in January. I may have been biased, but I thought they all did fantastically well!

I also got to introduce and serve as moderator for my friend (and my cover artist), author Kelley York, and meet a new author-friend, Tracy Clark. They talked about writing for young adults and did a thoroughly charming job of representing our YA writer tribe.


I loved that this festival is local, so I hope they stick around and keep the author fun going!

2 comments:

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

That's awesome! I bet you had a great time! I would love to go to something like that eventually! :)

Angelica R. Jackson said...

I'll let you know if they do it again, in case you want to come out, Jessica! Even better if you're an invited author, right?