Friday, March 25, 2016

Camp NaNoWriMo is coming!

If you've been reading our blog since last fall, you know that I love celebrating National Novel Writing Month in November. The official NaNoWriMo event runs from November 1st to November 30th, and the goal is to write 50,000 words of an original work of fiction during that time. It's definitely tough, and many people find it especially difficult to make their word goals the week of Thanksgiving in the US. But make it to 50K or not, the camaraderie is great.

In April and July, the NaNo group hosts Camp NaNoWriMo, a writing event where you set your own word count goals. In keeping with the camp theme, you get organized into "cabins" of 11 people, where you can message each other throughout the month and cheer each other on. You can be sorted into a cabin and meet new writing friends, or set up a private cabin with people you already know.

Last April, I set the goal of outlining a new WIP and writing the first 10,000 words. I was plodding along with that book, so in July I made my writing goal getting to 40,000 words. This time around, I have a complete MS that I need to finish first-round edits on. My goal is to get all 70,000 words edited by the end of April. I absolutely love the flexibility of Camp NaNoWriMo.

If you enjoy the spirit of NaNoWriMo in November, I highly recommend giving Camp NaNo a try.

No comments: